EPRS Admin By / November 3, 2016

European lieux de mémoires and building names

European lieux de mémoires and building names

European lieux de mémoires and building names

In Brussels, in 1958, private companies proposed to erect new buildings in the Leopold
Quarter to house the European Communities. As the Berlaymont project was delayed
several times, the first building, the Charlemagne, started to house European civil
servants in 1967. The Berlaymont was eventually completed in 1968. Meanwhile, the
Belgian authorities renamed the roundabout on the Rue de la Loi/Wetstraat as the
‘Schuman roundabout’, to underline the new character of the neighbourhood.


Related Articles

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Reply