* ‘Operating budgetary balances’ are calculated, for a given Member State, as the difference between allocated operating expenditure (i.e. excluding administration) and own resources payments (excluding traditional own resources).
* These payments are adjusted to sum up to total allocated operating expenditure (as for calculating the UK correction), so that operating budgetary balances add up to zero.
* Series as a percentage of GNI are calculated on the basis of GNI data, as published by DG ECFIN in its spring 2015 economic forecasts (GNI/ESA 2010).
* In 2009, the balances include the adjustments related to the implementation of the 2007 Own Resources Decision.
* In 2014, the balances are distorted by the fact that the 2014 Own Resources Decision has not yet entered into force.
Data source: European Commission (2014 Financial Report).