Updated on 9 March 2017
Written by Giulio Sabbati,
This Briefing, published by the European Parliamentary Research Service, is designed to provide key facts and figures about the European Parliament, both today – during the current 2014 to 2019 parliamentary term – and in the seven previous terms since direct elections were introduced in June 1979.
On the following pages you will find graphics of various kinds which:
- detail the composition of the European Parliament now and in the past;
- trace the increase in the number of parties represented in the EP and evolution of political groups;
- chart the rise in the number of women sitting in the Parliament;
- explain the electoral systems used in elections to the Parliament across the Member States;
- show how turnout in European elections compares with that in national elections;
- summarise the activity of the Parliament in the 2009-14 term, and so far in the current term;
- present the annual cost of the Parliament compared with other parliaments;
- outline the composition of the Parliament’s main governing bodies.
The Briefing is being updated regularly during the 2014-19 term to take account of latest developments.
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: March 2017
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: March 2016
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: April 2015 (available in ES, DE, EN, FR, IT and PL)
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: November 2014
Download images from the Graphics Warehouse.