Updated on 9 March 2016
Written by Giulio Sabbati,
This briefing provides key facts and figures about the European Parliament, both today and in previous terms since direct elections were introduced in 1979.
It includes graphics of various kinds which:
- detail the composition of the European Parliament now and in the past;
- trace the increase in the number of parties represented in the Parliament and show the evolution of political groups;
- chart the rise in the number of women sitting in the Parliament;
- explain the electoral systems used in elections to the Parliament across the Member States;
- show how turnout in European elections compares with that in national elections;
- summarise the activity of the Parliament in the last term from 2009 to 2014;
- present the annual cost of the Parliament compared with other parliaments;
- outline the composition of the Parliament’s main governing bodies.
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: March 2016
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: April 2015 (available in ES, DE, EN, FR, IT and PL)
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: November 2014
Download images from the Graphics Warehouse.