Updated on 11 April 2018
Written by Giulio Sabbati,
This Briefing, published by the European Parliamentary Research Service, is designed to provide key facts and figures about the European Parliament, both today – during the current 2014 to 2019 parliamentary term – and in the seven previous terms since direct elections were introduced in June 1979.
On the following pages you will find graphics of various kinds which:
- detail the composition of the European Parliament now and in the past;
- trace the increase in the number of parties represented in the EP and evolution of political groups;
- chart the rise in the number of women sitting in the Parliament;
- explain the electoral systems used in elections to the Parliament across the Member States;
- show how turnout in European elections compares with that in national elections;
- summarise the activity of the Parliament in the 2009-14 term, and so far in the current term;
- present the annual cost of the Parliament compared with other parliaments;
- outline the composition of the Parliament’s main governing bodies.
The Briefing is being updated regularly during the 2014-19 term to take account of latest developments.
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: April 2018
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: March 2017
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: March 2016
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: April 2015 (available in ES, DE, EN, FR, IT and PL)
- European Parliament: Facts and Figures: November 2014
Download images from the Graphics Warehouse.