you're reading...
EU Financing / Budgetary Affairs, PUBLICATIONS, Structural and Cohesion Policies

How the EU budget is spent: The European Regional Development Fund

Written by Magdalena Sapała,

A person watering the graph

© fotomek / Fotolia

The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) is one of five European Structural and Investment (ESI) Funds aimed at achieving economic, social and territorial cohesion in the European Union. The ERDF’s primary task is to redress the main regional imbalances in the Union through investment in the structural adjustment of regions where development is lagging behind. Moreover, the Fund supports the economic conversion of declining industrial regions. The ERDF budget for the 2014-2020 period amounts to €196 billion, this is 43.2 % of the total allocation for the ESI Funds and more than 18 % of the total MFF. In the 2014-2020 programming period the biggest ERDF recipient is Poland, with an allocation twice that of the second on the list, Italy. Estonia, Slovakia and Latvia receive the highest ERDF support per capita.

Although the ERDF’s principal goal has remained almost the same since the Fund was created in 1975, the management modes and the types of co-financed investment have significantly changed to reflect cohesion policy reforms and new EU priorities. In addition to its important role as a cohesion policy toll, over the years the Fund has also become one of the financial means to achieve the common EU goals defined in the Europe 2020 strategy. Consequently, in the current programming period, about 95 % of ERDF resources is spent on investment for growth and jobs in three types of regions classified on the basis of their GDP per capita (less developed, more developed and transition regions). The remaining 5 % of the ERDF supports European territorial cooperation, i.e. numerous cross-border, transnational and interregional co-operation programmes, formerly known as Interreg.

The ERDF’s priorities have shifted from ‘hard’ infrastructure to investment in technology and innovation-related projects. In the 2014-2020 period more than half of the ERDF resources will support the following four priorities:

  • Strengthening research, technological development and innovation;
  • Enhancing access to, and use and quality of, ICT;
  • Enhancing the competitiveness of SMEs; and
  • Supporting the shift towards a low-carbon economy in all sectors.

Over more than 40 years of operations, the ERDF has supported multiple objectives, types of investment, and beneficiaries in all EU Member States. Together with the Cohesion Fund, the ERDF accounts for a substantial proportion of public investment in the Member States, especially in the poorest regions of the EU. According to the evaluation reports, the ERDF’s impact, especially with regard to development of transport and environment infrastructure, as well as support for SMEs, is considered both positive and significant.

Read the complete briefing on ‘How the EU budget is spent: The European Regional Development Fund‘.



  1. Pingback: How the EU budget is spent: The European Regional Development Fund | - October 19, 2016

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Download the EPRS App

EPRS App on Google Play
EPRS App on App Store
What Europe Does For You
EU Legislation in Progress
Topical Digests
EPRS Podcasts

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3,343 other followers

RSS Link to Members’ Research Service

Disclaimer and Copyright statement

The content of all documents (and articles) contained in this blog is the sole responsibility of the author and any opinions expressed therein do not necessarily represent the official position of the European Parliament. It is addressed to the Members and staff of the EP for their parliamentary work. Reproduction and translation for non-commercial purposes are authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the European Parliament is given prior notice and sent a copy.

For a comprehensive description of our cookie and data protection policies, please visit Terms and Conditions page.

Copyright © European Union, 2014-2019. All rights reserved.

%d bloggers like this: